Photo by Tony Newell.
Try some of these ideas and see what works for you, finding an effective and beneficial morning routine is the best way to start the day!
1. Get up earlier! Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. Even 20 minutes earlier leads to a more leisurely morning. In fact, take advantage of the recent Daylight Savings fall back and go to bed an hour earlier so you’ll wake up an hour earlier. That’s the clock your body will still be on for a couple weeks anyway.
2. Lay your clothes out the night before. I sometimes think of two outfits when weather might be an issue.
3. Write a list. Write down everything you need to take with you and put it where you’ll see it in the morning, or tape it to the door. Or the bathroom mirror. I hate running through everything in my head in the morning, I just know I’ll forget something important.
4. Make your lunch the night before. I grew up doing this for school and mom always did it for my dad’s lunch so I continue this practice now. But to make sure to bring it everyday it might need to stay on the morning to-bring list…
5. Eat breakfast. And lack of time is no excuse. Get one of those portable salad containers and put granola in it, and yogurt in the dressing compartment (or vice versa depending on your preference). Or bake some homemade granola bars! You can find a recipe for that below. Be sure to play with it, recipes like that really are flexible.
6. Set out your cereal bowl with the dry cereal in it or oatmeal, or get a timed coffee maker that will start right before you get up. Who doesn’t want to wake up to fresh coffee already made? If you make a hot breakfast put all the ingredients (eggs, cheese, meat) on the top shelf of the fridge already prepared (cut, sliced) to use.
7. Get a shower radio. Music in the shower is a relaxing way to wake up and shake the slumber. Or buy a touchscreen mirror. Or this one. Or even this one. As you can see I think these touchscreen mirrors are really cool.
8. Clean the kitchen the night before. No one likes waking up, flipping the kitchen switch, and have their heart drop at the sight of dishes in the sink (you get a “sinking” feeling looking at that don’t you?) and a banana peel on the counter.
9. Leave 5 minutes earlier than normal. It gives a greater peace of mind that you’ll get to work or school on time even though you’re hitting every red light and a train crossing.
10. Make your bed. I’ve been doing this for a long time, and it really doesn’t take that much time at all. And a room looks so much cleaner and warmer with a made up bed. This is a good habit if you don’t already do it.
Have any other tips to have a peaceful morning? We could all use some help! And to the existing morning people, how do you do it?
Have a good morning everybody!