My First Taxi Ride

My first taxi ride wasn’t in NYC, though I did count how many taxis drove by a corner deli I was at for 5 minutes. Something to the tune of 100, I don’t really remember. It was a lot.

I’ve never really had any reason to ride in a taxi before, there’s just always happened to be another way, unlike my husband. He traveled via taxi all over Israel. You know, because people like to blow up buses there. Anyway, my first taxi ride was last night, from downtown to our place.

It all started out at Benaroya Hall last night, I bought my husband tickets to see Handel’s Messiah, since he loves it so much. Of course we showed up 10 minutes late and our seats were in the front row. And by ‘front row’ I mean the front row. When I crossed my legs, my foot was touching the base of the stage. They were the cheapest tickets I could get, OK? So what if we couldn’t see the entire right side of the stage. Besides, how much do you need to see when it’s just singing? And we had the soloists right in front of us, which I thought was great. And the bassoonist, I like bassoons. (He obviously had a cold too, I felt bad for the guy.)

Picture from the Seattle Symphony website.

Anyway, since we were so late we had parked in a nearby garage, $7 for the evening. Not terrible. But our mistake is that after the performance, which ended around 11pm, we went to The Triple Door, since we had a gift card and all. It’s right across the street from Benaroya and a really great place. The music that night was How Now Brown Cow, which I thought was entertaining. I had a white Russian, husband had a glass of wine and we split a couple satay skewers. We left there a little after midnight.

Then we went to Clever Bottle. I don’t know why. Our second mistake. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It’s one of our favorite places, and the bartender there is just the sweetest woman. And we had a Tippr coupon. I’ll save my review of them for another post to do them justice. It’s safe to say that you wouldn’t be disappointed.

We left Clever Bottle around 1:30, walked the half mile back to the garage, where doom struck in thunderclaps. The metal cage garage door was shut. Crap. So we went around the block since we knew there was another entrance on the other side. Closed. We look at the signage and it says the garage is closed from midnight to 6am.

Alright,” we say, “we’ll take the bus home and come get it in the morning.” Our parking fee just skyrocketed to $30, a real downer but there was just nothing more we could do about it.

We trek down to a bus stop and check when the next bus will come. Well the last one came at 1:30am. And it started pouring rain. And I was in heels. Cue earthquakes, floods, and volcanoes erupting.

But my wise, calm husband hailed a taxi, since we didn’t have any other choice. Fare came to exactly $12. But we were home.

Lesson learned.

Update: Our parking bill came to $36. Ouch.

P.S. Our taxi was a Prius, it was my first time in one of those too. It was quite roomy, and had a strange dashboard. That’s all I got.

P.P.S. My next post will be about how to make Gai Pad Krapow, my new favorite go-to Thai dish. 🙂


One thought on “My First Taxi Ride

  1. Hannah says:

    Hmm, I’ve never taken a cab here either!

    I’ll have to put that concert on my list of to do’s for next Christmas.

Share your Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: